It is the mission of the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, Southern Jurisdiction, to improve its members and enhance the communities in which they live by teaching and emulating the principles of Brotherly Love, Tolerance, Charity, and Truth while actively embracing high social, moral, and spiritual values including fellowship, compassion, and dedication to God, family and country.
- Fulfill the promise of additional Masonic knowledge through education and training.
- Build a Positive Public Image of Freemasonry and the Scottish Rite.
- Support and expand our philanthropic activities.
- Provide a framework for effective leadership to ensure the stability and long-term success of the Fraternity.
- Provide a financial process to ensure the stability and long-term success of the Fraternity.
THE SCOTTISH RITE ENTERS DALLAS
The Scottish Rite of Freemasonry entered Dallas with the permanent charter of Dallas Lodge of Perfection granted on October 20, 1897.
During the past one-hundred and ten years, the Bodies have had three homes or meeting places in the city. The first was in the Stafford Building at 1704 Elm Street, where the Lodge of Perfection met at intervals and gave the degrees chiefly by communication.
After a short time, the place of meeting was moved to the Dan Sullivan Building, with a 25-foot front, on the north side of Commerce between Lamar and Poydras Streets. The Bodies remained in their cramped quarters there until adequate space could be acquired for their purpose in a permanent home of their own.
Plans for a new home began when "The Dallas Scottish Rite Cathedral Association" was organized in 1903. No Reunion had up to this time been held in The Valley of Dallas for lack of suitable quarters. In May 1904, the first Reunion of the Rite took place in Turner Hall at Harwood and Canton Streets on the site on which the Masonic Temple now stands. They continued to be held there until November 1908, when the tenth Reunion was held in the new Cathedral.
The Dallas Bodies soon felt the need for a paper to keep their members Masonically informed. So the first issue of the SCOTTISH RITE HERALD came from the press in March 1910. DeWitt McMurray, 32°, later 33°, was the first editor. The HERALD has entered the millennium with a new look beginning with the title, The Scottish Rite News of the Valley of Dallas.
From the entrance of Scottish Rite Masonry in Dallas by the establishment of the Lodge of Perfection on Elm Street one-hundred and ten years ago, to the present, the membership of that Body has increased from 64 charter members to about 4,000.